Monday, May 27, 2013

Holy Humbling Experiences!!!




This week was wonderful, and stressful, and jam-packed with REJECTION! Our baptism cancelled at the last minute and she refuses to talk to us, and we found an incredible young mom who wanted to hear all about our message, but her husband was extremely against it. When she told us, I almost burst into tears. What?! Is this missionary work too?! I think the answer is yes. This is a different sort-of heartbreak, because it isn't just me that they're rejecting. IT'S SOMETHING SO MUCH BIGGER AND I PROMISE IT'LL MAKE YOU HAPPY, STOP YELLING AT ME!!! Anyways, it was my first real dose at being utterly rejected, all week. And it's way more sad than that one time that Taylor hit that cat on the way home from a stake dance. Tay, you remember?

Anyways, the funniest thing happened to me this week. I waddled up to this man and stuck out my hand and did my: "Hello!!!! My name is Sister Brooks and......." Before I got another word in, the man smiled, shook my hand, and started talking about Ancient Egyptians. It took me about five minutes to figure out what was going on. He was rattling on about horses and gold necklaces and crickets fighting each other, and it's incredible how some some people honestly don't need to breathe as they talk. I thought of Taylor and was very grateful for all those years he told me history facts I really didn't care about but I had to pretend I did;) SKILLS PUT IN ACTION! For a solid half an hour, I was trying to explain who I was and what I stood for. Finally I got in the word Mormon, and he said he hates religion, but he likes that we do genealogy. So we may do family history with this man, and I will put my listening with love abilities into action once more. It was so strange. People.

Juan is progressing incredibly! Amazingly! The best moment of my whole week was the first time we taught him this week; it was our second lesson ever. The first time he had talked and talked and talked. This time, we walk, sit down, and he says: I want to know, I want to know everything. Please teach me.

He had read the introduction to the Book of Mormon and studied religiously the Restoration pamphlet, and he was like a child on Christmas morning. He said: Man, when I was reading I just got this strange feeling. I felt weak. I feel it whenever I see you girls. I feel really, I dunno, calm or something. I don't understand.

Hearing him describe the Spirit was incredible, and tears came to my eyes. I just smiled and said: Juan, do you know what that is? MY LIFE IS THE BEST!!!!!!

 We also taught our first lesson to a drunk person this week, which was an exciting experience! AND a man tried to give my companion a hug, but he was a little aggressive and extremely crude and I've rarely been so uncomfortable in my life! The words: "SISTER MISSIONARY DROPS 45-YEAR OLD MAN" ran through my head quickly. Before I could get my fists ready, Sister Olsen grabbed me and we peaced for the door. Adventures every day! It's not easy being a sister missionary. People either think you're a nun or try to flirt with you. HELLO?!

This is Brother B. We went to weed his
 garden this week and he offered me a hat.
Don't mind if I do:)

This week was challenging, because at any moment I could get a call from the mission home saying: Pack up, you're headed to Brazil tomorrow. The Lord definitely knows my weaknesses and He is trying to help me make them strengths. It’s hard not knowing when I'm going to Brazil. I'm currently trying to learn how to do missionary work in two languages, and I'm honestly overwhelmed. Last night for the first time since I've been here, I just lost it.

This was me: On the ground in my hoodie and mis-matching socks just crying and saying: I CAN'T DO THIS, THERE IS NO WAY POSSIBLE ON THIS EARTH THAT I CAN GO TO BRAZIL AND I DON'T KNOW WHEN I'M GOING AND I'M SO TIRED OF NOT KNOWING ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 My companion was so sweet. She listened and listened and then I got over it and I am ready to take it all on againone day at a time. Who needs to know anything anyway? Certainly not me...

John, the hot yoga-er, is doing wonderful! He is also progressing well. Flora is as sweet as ever. Feeling the Spirit has a way of making you feel at home no matter where you are, and especially this week. I needed it as much as I needed food and water. Because I'm a lost little lamb here! It's amazing how a good lesson with the Spirit changes any rough day to the best one you've ever had.

My new best friends


How can they not make you smile?
This week I talked to a lot of people who are hurting. Suicide and abuse and jail and drugs and my goodness. There was one point where I was sitting in a lesson, an innocent little 20-year-old, listening to this older woman cry and talk about how she just gave up paying a bill so her son could play football. She said: I just want God to hold me. I just want Him to hug me. I've been on my own since I was 12-years-old. And I just sat there and thought to myself: Who I am to tell her what to do? Suddenly any key indicators and any numbers and any lessons taught weren't as important in that moment, and all I wanted to do was love her and help her feel just how much God loved her. This isn't about me. Life is so hard. I don't know why I am so blessed.

Holy humbling experiences. It's so very sad that not everyone knows what I've been so blessed to know! I love missionary work, I do I do I do:) I love my Savior Jesus Christ. He is my best friend, He is my Comforter, and He is the Redeemer of this world. I love the chance I have every day to know Him more.

Well, maybe I'll talk to you all in Brazil next week? Maybe China. I don't know, pray for my sanity:):) I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!


Sister Brooks 

No comments:

Post a Comment