Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Here I go, Here I go!!!!


Me and my new mission call...it's like Christmas all over again!

So a quick little update on me!!! This week was so fantastic. I leave for San Fransisco in the morning so I am running around today trying to figure out what in the world I am doing!! Here is my miracle of the week:)
Last week, the Branch President asked me to put together a branch choir. He promised me that if I prayerfully picked out a song, the song I picked would be the topic of that Sunday, and that experience alone would be worth the extra week here. I'll be honest, I've been a little stressed about it! It was fast Sunday, and I couldn't really figure out how there would even really be a "topic" that I was supposed to figure out by the Spirit. Well, I scrounged up a version of "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" and bossed around my branch to create a little extra time to practice:) On Sunday, we also had mission conference here at the MTC, (which I have no idea was going to happen.) The MTC President gets up last and his topic was on how Christ is our Rescuer. He went through "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" and explained the meaning that it holds, and even had the entire MTC sing a few lines of it. I was floored. Three hours later, my sweet little choir stood up, the branch presidency got up off the stand and went to sit in the audience because they were so excited, and "Come Thou Fount" was sang so beautifully. It was quite the experience, and I was directing the choir choking back tears because the words had more meaning to me than ever before:

Here I raise my Ebenezer, hither by Thy help I've come.
And I hope by Thy good pleasure safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger wandering from the fold of God.
He to rescue me from danger interposed His precious blood.


 The Lord knows what's going on, doesn't He`?

My birthday was probably the best 20th birthday I've ever had!! The sweet sisters in my district planned a 10 minute party for me at night, where they wrapped up all fancy all these gross clothes that were put in the "free bin" on our floor. It was quite the party, and I do adore them all!! 
My new district has been SO kind and SO supportive of me. I was praying last week, because I was feeling a little sad and left behind as my zone left, and the Lord promised me that He would "carry me" through this week. I have felt that. It has been an incredible week for me.

So, I was informed I MIGHT be opening a Portuguese branch in San Fran. Wait what?! This would an experience to say the least! I'm trying to ward off my doubts, such as: "But I don't speak Portuguese." And: "But I don't know anything." AND MOSTLY I'M JUST SO EXCITED!!!!:) Missions for days. 

And one last thing! I've learned something really important since I've been here, and this is it. There is great value in not talking about people, ever. Let's get real. If my flaws and problems were pieces of bread, we could probably feed a city for a week; maybe even a small island. I've just learned since I've been here that there are lots of people going on, and we all have different ways of doing everything. Since I've always been an observant person, I think I've always loved sharing my observations with other people. I've never done it with ill-intent, but I've realized that talking doesn't benefit anyone. So when I notice something about someone, I've kept it to myself. If I'm irritated, I'm working on getting over it rather than making it a big deal. If someone comes to me for advice, I've been working on pointing them to the source rather than becoming a middle-man. Rudyard Kipling said: "If all men count with you, but none too much." I have this new confidence where I truly feel that I have absolutely nothing to prove to anyone, and if they don't like me then I'll be over it in mmmmaybe 3 seconds. I decided to exit the teenage and maybe even adult "talking." (I am 20 now.....;)) I'm not perfect, by any means. But I'm learning to stop before I say something and think: Would I say this in front of anyone? and Will saying this benefit anyone? If I overhear something about someone else, I'm learning to just keep my mouth shut about it. There's great value in not talking. 

So, here I go, here I go! I'm stressed a little bit, and a little overwhelmed, and I am ecstatic about my life as a missionary. Bring on the next:)
I love you all so very much!!
Sister Brooks



No comments:

Post a Comment